These super easy baked doughnuts are a breakfast favorite for my family, especially once they are topped with my whipped chocolate icing and rainbow sprinkles! No fryer required, no oil needed, and they are ready to eat in less than an hour!
Prep time: 5 minutes Bake time: 30 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
Doughnut Ingredients: 1 cup AP flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp heavy cream (or milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp butter, melted
piping or ziploc bag
Whipped Chocolate Icing Ingredients: 1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1-3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Spray doughnut pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spoon ingredients into a piping bag (with no decorative tip) or a ziploc bag with a corner cut off.
- Pipe the ingredients into the doughnut pan until 3/4 full.
- Bake the doughnuts for 25-30 minutes or until they are light golden brown and the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before adding the icing.
To Make The Icing:
- Add the cocoa powder, sugar, and heavy whipping cream to a small bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until the sugar is well dissolved and the icing forms a whipped cream consistency.
- Add the milk 1 tbsp at a time, until the icing thins out just enough to be dippable.
- Dip the tops of the doughnuts into the icing and rotate until covered.
- Sprinkle toppings of your choice over the wet icing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Notes: Store doughnuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. These can be made gluten free by simply substituting a 1:1 ratio of gluten free flour (King Arthur brand in my fav). These are great topped with any kind of sprinkles, or even chocolate chips or nuts!