This easy and delicious sweet potato chili is full of nutritious vegetables and gives you all of the fall flavors with notes of cinnamon, sweet potato, and chili powder. It is so easy to make and can be made on stove top or crock pot!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients: 1 medium yellow onion
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
3 sweet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
16 oz chicken broth
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1 15 oz can of black beans or kidney beans
1 can of sweet corn
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Brown meat in a skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Drain meat and transfer to a soup pot or crock pot.
- Wash and dice the onion then sauté it in 1 tbsp of olive oil, once onion is a golden color, move to the pot.
- Drain and rinse the beans, then transfer to pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pot.
- Drain the corn, then add it to the pot.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot, then cover and turn on high and bring to a boil.
- While the pot is being brought to a boil, wash, peel, and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a frying pan and sauté for about 3 minutes, then transfer to the pot.
- Add all of the seasonings and the milk then cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and serve with cheddar cheese, and avocado, or toppings of your choice.
Recipe Notes: If you want to make it in the crock pot, repeat all of these steps and then cook in the crock pot for about 2 hours on low or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Serve with toppings of your choice.