This apple pie cupcake recipe is made using cake mix for a quick and easy fall dessert that everyone will love!
Prep time: 15 minutes Bake time: 15-20 minutes Total time: 30-35 minutes Servings: 30 cupcakes
Ingredients: 1 box of white cake mix of your choice
3 egg whites
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup of water
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of nutmeg
vanilla icing of your choice
Filling Ingredients: 4 apples (mix of gala and granny smith for best results)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup AP flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners, set aside. Preheat oven according to temperature recommended on cake mix you choose.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to instructions on box. Mine uses 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1 cup water.
- Add 1 tbsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg to cake batter.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cupcake pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and while they are cooling begin making apple pie filling.
- Wash and peel apples, then cube them.
- Place cubed apples in sauce pan and add the rest of the ingredients to the pan.
- Cook filling mixture on low until apples are soft and tender and liquid begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Instructions to construct:
- Cut a hole in the center of the cupcakes, and remove center until a hole about 1 1/2 inch across is present and cuts down until at least half way in the cupcake.
- Spoon apple pie filling into each hole of the cupcakes until the filling is even with the top of the cupcake.
- Top the cupcake with vanilla icing of your choice, decorate how you choose, and drizzle caramel sauce over the top of each cupcake.
- If there are any apple chunks left over, top each cupcake with one and then sprinkle the top of the apple chunk with nutmeg.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Notes: If not eating right away, these cupcakes keep best in the refrigerator. This recipe also works with homemade vanilla cupcakes or homemade vanilla icing. These cupcakes are great topped with vanilla icing and caramel sauce, but also great topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!